FHH Consultants understands the complexities of the adaptive ways of working. We are committed to providing a seamless experience for our clients and are constantly researching best practices and trends to create a seamless employee experience.
In this article, we will be identifying and discussing online recreational activities to develop teamwork and morale during remote work.
- Virtual Escape Rooms: Virtual escape rooms are online games where players work together to solve puzzles and complete tasks in order to “escape” the virtual room. These games can help develop teamwork, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Online Game Tournaments: Organising online game tournaments for your team can be a fun and engaging way to build camaraderie and teamwork. Popular games like League of Legends, Overwatch, or Fortnite can be used.
- Virtual Cooking Classes: Virtual cooking classes can be a fun and unique way to bring team members together, even when working remotely. They can help develop teamwork by working together to plan a menu, shop for ingredients, and prepare a meal.
- Virtual Team-Building Activities: There are several virtual team-building activities that can be done remotely, such as virtual scavenger hunts, virtual treasure hunts, or virtual murder mystery games. These activities can help develop teamwork, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Virtual Yoga or Fitness Classes: Virtual yoga or fitness classes can be a great way to build teamwork and support team members in their personal health and wellness goals.
- Virtual book clubs or movie clubs: If your team members share a common interest in literature or movies, virtual book or movie clubs can be a great way to foster teamwork and discussion.
- Virtual Board games: Playing virtual board games like 30 Seconds or Monopoly can be a fun way for remote teams to bond and develop teamwork.
It’s important to keep in mind that the activities should align with the team’s culture and interests as well as the organisational policies and processes. Additionally, it’s always good to include a debrief session after the activity to discuss how the team worked together, its strengths, and areas for improvement.
Creating cohesion with remote teamwork can be challenging, but there are several strategies that can assist, which include the following
- Establish clear communication channels: Establishing clear and consistent communication channels is essential for remote teams to stay connected and informed. This can include regular virtual meetings, instant messaging, and email.
- Set clear goals and expectations: Setting clear goals and expectations for the team can help ensure that everyone is working towards the same objectives and that everyone knows what is expected of them.
- Encourage regular interaction: Encouraging regular interaction among team members can help build relationships and create a sense of community among remote team members. This can include virtual team-building activities, virtual coffee breaks, or virtual lunch and learn sessions.
- Foster a culture of trust and transparency: Building trust and transparency with remote team members is essential for creating cohesion. This can be achieved by encouraging open and honest communication, actively listening to team members, and being responsive to their concerns.
- Leverage technology: Technology can be used to facilitate collaboration and communication among remote team members. For example, using project management tools, virtual whiteboards, and video conferencing tools can help remote team members work together more efficiently.
- Emphasise the company culture: Emphasising the company culture and values can help create a sense of belonging among remote team members. This can include incorporating organisational culture into team-building activities, recognising team members for their contributions, and promoting a positive and inclusive work environment.
- Encourage socialisation: Encourage team members to get to know each other by organising virtual social events, such as virtual happy hours or game nights, it can help to build stronger relationships among team members. It is also important to create a safe space for employees to feel encouraged to participate and build trust with colleagues without feeling criticised for opinions and answers in a respectful manner.
- Have a clear plan for remote work: Establishing a clear plan for remote work, including guidelines for communication, expectations for availability, and protocols for working together can help
Look no further than FHH Consultants to partner with you on all things Human Resource related.